Statistics issued March 2013
Download: Superannuation Statistics
The main results from APRA's latest quarterly data:
- Total assets rose by $68.4 billion (4.5 per cent) during the March quarter to $1.58 trillion.
- Over this quarter, assets of industry funds increased by 5.7 per cent, corporate funds by 4.3 per cent, public sector funds by 4.3 per cent and retail funds by 4.2 per cent.
- The number of APRA-regulated funds with over four members has remained steady over the past month at 333 entities, however this represents a reduction of 3.2 per cent over the quarter (from 344 funds in December 2012) and 5.9 per cent over the past year (from 354 funds in March 2012).
- Contributions to funds with at least $50 million in assets were $20.8 billion over the March quarter, with employers contributing $16.9 billion and members contributing $3.8 billion.
- Outward rollovers from APRA-regulated funds exceeded inward rollovers in the March quarter (i.e. positive flows to SMSFs). Industry, retail, corporate and public sector funds had negative net rollovers of $50 million, $131 million, $432 million and $818 million, respectively.
- Rollovers both in and out are roughly half the level of this time last year, however they are roughly equivalent to this time two years ago. Last year’s ‘spike’ in rollovers was partly due to the impact of the number of fund mergers that took place.
- Deferred tax assets continued to decrease, down to $3.5 billion from $4.1 billion last month (and $6.8 billion a year ago).