As part of ASFA Learning’s new Essentials Series of short courses targeting core superannuation topics, this quick, convenient course teaches you the fundamentals of investment of superannuation assets.
Why complete this course?
In as little as two hours, this course provides an overview of the factors affecting investment decisions by superannuation funds, the SIS requirements and constraints imposed on trustees when investing a superannuation fund’s assets, key investment concepts, such as risk and return and their importance and relevance, the various financial markets, the categories of assets and the impact of return, risk, liquidity, and tax on each of the four major asset classes, and alternative investments, derivatives and international investments.
And because it leverages the expertise of the ASFA policy and research team, you can be confident that course content keeps up with the superannuation industry’s rapidly changing requirements.
What’s covered in the course?
- SIS requirements when trustees formulate an investment strategy.
- Specific constraints trustees have in relation to the investment of fund assets.
- Difference between capital growth and income.
- Differences between total return, net return and real return.
- Various ways to measure risk.
- Risk/return trade-off.
- Ways risk is minimised through diversification.
- Importance of liquidity in a superannuation fund.
- Main types of financial markets in Australia.
- Difference between defensive and growth assets.
- Four major asset classes and their characteristics.
- Characteristics of alternative investments, derivatives and international investments.
- Approaches that can be used to minimise risk within a superannuation fund.
- Ways superannuation investments are taxed.
- Reporting requirements in respect of derivative transactions made by a fund.
Is this course right for you?
This course will suit experienced industry professionals keen to build on their technical knowledge of investments, those needing to engage directly with investment managers or teams, together with board members requiring a detailed understanding of investing superannuation.
Investment Essentials is delivered completely online in an interactive e-learning format comprising one e-learning module and a final quiz. Online delivery means you can study anywhere, anytime.
Corporate virtual workshop options are also available – contact us to discuss.
Upon successful completion of Investment Essentials you will receive an ASFA Certificate of Completion.
The estimated time commitment to complete the course is approximately two hours.