Enrol now »
As part of ASFA Learning’s new Essentials Series of short courses targeting core superannuation topics, this quick, convenient course teaches you all about the essential area of insurance in superannuation.
Why complete this course?
In as little as one hour, this course outlines the role of insurance, the different types of insurance cover available to members of superannuation funds, the key benefits of group life insurance arrangements, the duty of disclosure imposed upon members, the role of the insurer and the different methods used to calculate a member’s insurance premium, as well as the more recent amendments to insurance under the Protecting your Superannuation and Putting Members’ Interests First legislation.
And because it leverages the expertise of the ASFA policy and research team, you can rely on our course keeping up with the superannuation industry’s rapidly changing requirements.
What’s covered in the course?
- Need for insurance.
- Concept of group life insurance.
- Different types of insurance cover offered by superannuation funds.
- Process of ‘underwriting’.
- Disclosure requirements imposed on insurers and the insured.
- Role of the insurer.
- Key legislative changes impacting the provision of insurance to members including inactive accounts, low balance members and members under age 25.
- Requirements for MySuper products for opt out insurance.
- Different ways in which insurance premiums can be calculated.
- Claims process for the payment of disability benefits.
Is this course right for you?
Insurance Essentials will suit individuals in, or aspiring to work in, insurance teams, claims handling roles or specialist insurance roles within superannuation funds or service providers to the superannuation industry.
How you’ll learn
Insurance Essentials is delivered completely online in an interactive e-learning format comprising one e-learning module and a final quiz. Online delivery means you can study anywhere, anytime.
Corporate virtual workshop options are also available – contact us to discuss.
What you’ll gain
Upon successful completion of Insurance Essentials you will receive an ASFA Certificate of Completion.
How long it will take to complete
The estimated time commitment to complete the course is approximately one hour.