Claims Handling Essentials
Enrol now »
As part of ASFA Learning’s new Essentials Series of short courses targeting core superannuation topics, this quick, convenient course teaches you all about the critical function of claims handling in superannuation administration.
Why complete this course?
The assessment of death and disability claims causes a significant number of complaints from superannuation fund members and is an area of focus for ASIC. Claim time can also bring high emotions.
In as little as one hour, this course provides a comprehensive understanding of the claims assessment process, including claims handling principles and best practice, and the skills required to handle difficult customer interactions.
And because it leverages the expertise of the ASFA policy and research team, you can rely on our course keeping up with the superannuation industry’s rapidly changing requirements.
What’s covered in the course?
- AFS licence obligations for claims handling services.
- Claims handling principles.
- Identifying vulnerable claimants and making adjustments for them.
- The claims process and timeframes, including identifying beneficiaries and conducting claim staking.
- Options for uninsured members to access superannuation.
- Offsets in income protection claims.
- Procedural fairness and its importance.
- Tax on death and disability claim proceeds.
- Verifying binding death benefit nominations.
- Handling difficult conversations and unreasonably persistent claimants.
Is this course right for you?
Claims Handling Essentials will suit individuals in, or aspiring to work in, insurance teams, claims handling roles or specialist insurance roles within superannuation funds or service providers to the superannuation industry.
How you’ll learn
Claims Handling Essentials is delivered completely online in an interactive e-learning format comprising one e-learning module and a final quiz. Online delivery means you can study anywhere, anytime.
Corporate virtual workshop options are also available – contact us to discuss.
What you’ll gain
Upon successful completion of Claims Handling Essentials you will receive an ASFA Certificate of Completion.
How long it will take to complete
The estimated time commitment to complete the course is approximately one hour.